Sunday, March 28, 2010

Armageddon, Christchurch, March 28 2010

Your blogger - a woman with red hair and glasses - peers over top of a box for the game Guild Wars, which has been autographed in silver pen

Hee. Steve Blum signed my Guild Wars game box.

I had a great time at Armageddon.

Dominic Keating (Malcom) and John Billingsley (Dr Phlox) of Star Trek Enterprise rarked it up in their panel, working the crowd for laughs. I'm more a Next Generation fan, but it was interesting to hear about the Hollywood Process.

I watched the Impact Pro Wrestling crew put on their usual Armageddon show, and were as rowdy and fun as in the past. I have little to do with IPW, and wrestling in general, since I stopped writing for NZPWI 2 years ago, and I was mostly there to support my friend Kirsty as she refereed for the show.

Ohh, another little dream job would be to announce for wrestling! Eat your heart out Lillian Garcia! Yeah? No.

I was mainly there to attend the VA panel, dubbed the "Animation Panel", with Steve Blum, Melodee Spevack, Michael McConnohie (yes yes, settle down Transformer geeks), and Tom Gibis. While I came to hear Blum, I was really drawn in by Melodee Spevack - she was very interesting and very assertive. An ex-stunt woman! deep sexy voice! years in the industry! red hair!

I asked a question about breaking into the VA industry and a lot of what they all mentioned were things I was doing, or have done, anyway - amateur theatre, radio industry experience (no brainer there for me), acting/voice classes (took voice as part of my degree). They also mentioned working on improv (hmm, never done that) and perfecting a "Flat American" accent (sigh).

After the panel I got in line for Steve to autograph my Guild Wars box, and had a lovely 5 minute chat with Melodee. She gave me a few tips on how to market oneself while living outside of the American market and how to work on an American accent, which is one of my MAJOR bug bears, damn you big vowels, rolling rrrrs and dark Ls! I really appreciated her time and generosity.

Maybe now is the time to start taking my voice work seriously - get myself registered with more agencies, in NZ and online, and create myself a better show reel. I should put that one up here, yes?

Also found this wicked badge (I'm such a child of the 80s):
A badge in the style of convention name stickers which says: Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die

No comments:

Post a Comment