Friday, May 21, 2010

This Week in Linkage - 21/5/2010

  • Failure RULEZ! Everyone knows the story about how Harry Potter was repeatedly rejected before coming the next greatest book since the Bible, but how about a lot of other famous authors and their run ins with rejection? "50 Iconic Writers Who Were Repeatedly Rejected" is more proof that persistence pays off.
  • I love it when a story or writer leaps out and grabs my sensibilities by the throat. I recently read Alice Sola Kim's "Beautiful White Bodies" over at Strange Horizons - Part One here , Part Two here. It's so awesome to find writers deconstructing stereotypes along the lines I want to. Here Kim's "Beauty Is a Disease" idea is quite like a WiP I've been dabbling in...but she's done it so much better! I also noticed Kim has a story in the latest Asimov's. I'll be watching out for more from her.
  • #FollowFriday sez: @feministhulk
  • "Why Yes, we need to have this conversation again". A recently released SF anthology "Before They Were Giants" features 14 men...and one woman. The editor James L. Sutter was called out for Gender Fail, and to his credit he responded to all criticism with humility, open ears and respect, saying "Lesson Learned". +1 for Sutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment