Monday, June 7, 2010

This Week In Linkage 07/06/2010

Nobody knows, tiddly pom, how cold my nose is growing. Some reading that's kept me warm and out of the rain in the last week or so.

  • This is a touchy one for Feminist Me, and I've read some hideous approaches to rape in literature - usually written by a man who has absolutely no clue - "oh she finds it exciting!", "it's a compliment!", "it's romantic!" - BARF. Jim C. Hines gives a few notes on how to write about rape in a sensitive way. Thanks Jim.
  • Another great post from Jim (I really am enjoying a lot of his sensible advice lately) about letting book promotion grow organically in "You Owe Me Nothing". I'm a big believer in organic growth of a fan base after watching some bands pull the puppet strings on their fans (ugh, it was manipulative and borderline sexist too).
  • John Scalzi and Wil Wheaton are holding a fanfic competition based around an awesome painting. I'm considering my entry...
  • I very rarely get to the movie theatre. And is it any wonder when our big blockbusters are white-washed, failing the Bechdel test, and fail in storytelling like "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time"?
  • I am a big fan of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Check out the chemistry between Marina Sirtis and Johnathon Frakes in this great interview reminiscing about their days on the show (via SFSignal):

No comments:

Post a Comment