- At The Conference Board Review, Alice Adams writes about "What Women Want and How NOT To Give It To Them". It is a treatise on gender equality in the workplace, but there are some excellent points that are universal. It honestly boils down to one thing: It's NOT a battle of the sexes! Highlighting gender difference is alienating. Excellent stuff, which I'll certainly use at work, and in discussion. (via Geek Feminism Blog)
- Over at The Border House, Quinnae asks on behalf of all marginalized gamers "Ain't I a gamer too?".
- Still with The Border House, Denis Farr does the link round up in "Actually breaking it down: Penny Arcade's rape comic". I was going to link to all discussions about this issue, specifically the Shakesville conversation, but TBH has summed and linked it all up quite nicely here. This discussion is not just about one rape joke in one gaming comic - it's a prevalent problem in many gaming comics, and one that has caused me to step away from reading them. PA's comic has been a tipping point into a wider discussion that is sorely needed.
- Angela Slater at Ecstatic Days talks about "On the magpie mind and the (mis)uses of research". OMG, this is SO me. On any given day I can start at one link, and end up reading something fascinating but completely unrelated.
- Nathan Bransford asks "Do you suffer from one of these writing maladies?"
I shouldn't laugh about the "Yoda Effect". I've facepalmed at myself often enough when I've done it! (via SFSignal)
- It's been a while since I did some Guild Wars2 link spam, so buckle up tight!:
"Talking Heads: VO and Dialogue in GW2" had me completely geeking out - my love for GW and interest in VO mashing together in one big squee;
"Progression and Leveling" (it'll always be Level 20 to me, dammit!);
"Personality" (more than just swinging a sword and grinding!);
"Acitivities - Games Within Games";
Introducing the GW2 Ranger;
The Warrior will make a return too;
There will be NO MONK! "Healing and Death in GW2";
"Walking The Walk", the second design manifesto;
and to back up the manifesto, a fantastic, eyepopping, drool inducing game trailer - this is not cinematic, this is GAME PLAY, BABY! (be warned, this video is a big mother)