Sunday, August 29, 2010

A quick update from Au Contraire

I've barely had time to breathe all weekend, but I thought I'd give a quick update on how my weekend at Au Contraire is going.

This. Is. Awesome.

I've never been to a con as a writer...scratch that, I've never been to a con. So this is all novelty and Christmas. The people have been wonderful, I've even managed to exercise my limited networking skills to open my mouth and say "hi" to people. Though I haven't worked up the gumption to say hi to Sean Williams, even though I shared an elevator with the guy at one stage. It was one of those "Oh shit oh shit whaddo I say?!" moments. Heh. Listening to his GoH speech was very cool. I'll definitely be checking out more of his work (I only have one of his Orphans books).

Friday night was the launch of "A Foreign Country", an anthology of New Zealand specfic, the first in many a year. Very much looking forward to reading stories from people I've actually met and done workshops with this weekend, and I hope it's a leaping off point for more anthos of it's type, and raising the profile of specfic in NZ. If you're interested, it's available in various independent bookstores like Unity, Arty Bees and University Bookshops, or ask at the library. Also available online for sale.

Last night was the launch of SpecFicNZ. I am now a card carrying member! This is going to become a community for specfic writers in our country, when before we've been disjointed and not very much in communication on a nationwide level. I think it'll be awesome for help, mentoring, feedback and promotion of NZ specfic writers. Ripley Patton, a Christchurch based writer, has been one of those instrumental in putting the organization together. Well done Ripley and team. After a great launch for the organization, I hope great things come from the community.

Working very hard behind the scenes are the concom, and I finally got a chance to say hi and well done to Anna Caro especially. Yay Anna, you're doing a great job!

I've also had the chance to do some fantastic workshops with Juliet Marillier, Russell Kirkpatrick, and Tim Jones (thanks again Tim for humouring a nobody!), and it's been really stimulating stuff. I've been feeling a bit noobie, but it all seems to flow together nicely.

There's still one more full on day of workshops and panels, and I hope I can survive it - I'm a bit blasted after a late night at the Rocky Horror showing.

I've missed a lot out here, because I have to rush to my first panel of the day, but I'll give a fuller report when I get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment