Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Obligatory Year In Review Post aka I DID THIS 2011

There's still a few days before the end of the year, so maybe there's still time to get that acceptance from Asimovs yet.

Ok, in my dreams, sunshine.

How to quantify my writing success this year? Guardedly. Six stories accepted and published, and one accepted and still awaiting publication is not to be sneezed at. It's five more acceptances than I had by this time last year.

All the venues I appeared in were token pay or exposure-only, but they all had their special meanings. I was very proud to contribute to Tales For Canterbury and see my first physical printed story - it feels nice to hold a hard copy of ones work in ones hands. I was very proud to appear in Expanded Horizons, Khimairal Ink, and M-Brane SF, all queer friendly and social justice oriented e-zines.

While I didn't crack any semi-pro or pro venues, I made some great contacts at a few of them. I really appreciate the feedback and encouragement from these places, and I hope in 2012 I can follow through on my promise and see my byline at places I hold in high esteem.

As far as my work ethic goes, I don't think I've lived up to my potential and I need a stricter schedule. One of my resolves for 2012 is to create a proper writing plan and be better prepared for writing. What I've done in the last two years has been pretty much 'fly by the seat of my pants' writing, hoping I can get follow through when inspiration strikes. I know I need to work harder on outlining my stories and have an end in sight.

It's also hard to deny the impact the Christchurch earthquakes (plural now, because we've had some really major aftershocks which have retriggered problems and stress) have had on my writing year. I've struggled with motivation, stress and imposter syndrome, and I'm still not comfortable with 'writing out' my experience in some sort of existential story. However, despite this problematic year, probably the worst of my life, I haven't given up and my writing is still as important as ever. I still want this.

A few statistics:
Number of Submissions: 123
Acceptances: 7
Most Frequented Venues: Strange Horizons, Lightspeed, Fantasy Magazine, Daily Science Fiction, Digital Science Fiction, Clarkesworld, Abyss and Apex, Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, Fantasy and Science Fiction.
Quickest Rejections: The Coloured Lens, 9 hours; Fantasy Magazine, 14 hours.
Slowest Rejection: Another Realm, six months and counting.
Number of Submissions made by snail mail: 6

Onwards and upwards for 2012! Gonna crack it, I know I will. It's slowly and steadily building towards something great.


A ginger cat wearing sunglasses reclines with a wine glass and bottle
Time to shake off this abnormally strange year LIKE A BOSS


1 comment:

  1. Wow, 7 acceptances! That's an awesome achievement in any year, let alone the big shaky one. Be proud of your success. You still want it, and you will get it. Good luck with the writing plan/schedule thing - let us know if you find the ultimate solution we're all seeking! Looking forward to reading more of your stories next year.

    Happy New Year
    Liz Gatens

    ReplyDelete