Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Anthologies Relevant To My Interests

I got into a discussion with a Twitter friend today about short story anthologies relevant to SF&F and our interests (feminism, activism, queer issues etc), and I thought I would expand on those here.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my copy of "Heiresses of Russ 2011: The Year's Best Lesbian Speculative Fiction", published by Lethe Press, and edited by Joselle Vanderhooft and Steve Berman. It contains stories by NK Jemisin (squee!) and Rachel Swirsky (yay!), and I loved Swirsky's "The Women Who Plucked Red Flowers Beneath the Queen's Window", so I'll be glad to have a hard copy of this story.

The 2012 edition of this anthology is already being planned, with recommendations now open until March 15.



"Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction", published by Lethe Press and edited by Brit Mandelo will be released on May 5, 2012.

Mandelo, the author of the 'Queering SFF' at Tor.com, recently wrote about the background of the anthology, and why genderqueer voices are important to be heard in SFF:
There’s such a big world out there when it comes to expressions of gender, sexuality, and identity — race, class, culture, time-period, age; all of these things come into play with performance and the ways in which we label ourselves (or don’t). “Genderqueer” can be a label, but it’s also an umbrella term that contains a multiplicity of other identities which slip, subvert, or explode restrictive, binary ideas about selves and bodies. The potential for experimentation, change, fluidity and non-normative construction of self is huge — whether it’s today, or in the Renaissance, or in the future, or on a whole other world.

One more from Lethe Press, "Hellebore and Rue: Tales of Queer Women and Magic", edited by Joselle Vanderhooft and Catherine Lundoff. This anthology has been out since May, 2011, but it has only just come on to my radar. I'm still trying to track down a closer to home edition (damn you international shipping costs! *fistshake*), but I'm very keen to get my hands on it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thrilled Lethe is releasing books that appeal to you :)

    ReplyDelete